Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gouda

Brent and I looove cheese so of course we had to visit the infamous town of Gouda. Most people pronounce it "goo-da" but it is actually pronounced "how-da". In the US, most Gouda cheese is smoked and it tastes nothing like the real Gouda cheese. The real stuff is amazing! But of course all the cheese here is fantastic, it can't be beat. We went on a Sunday so it was rather quiet, but that almost made it better because it seemed as though we had the town to ourselves!

Even the decorations were cheese!

First we went to the Gouda museum where we got to see the history of Gouda cheese and how it is made. The guide was this cute little old man who didn't speak a word of English. He was funny though and took us through the whole museum all in Dutch. Since it was all in the context of cheese we were able to figure most of it out. It was fun that it was just Brent and I though.

The Gouda cheese museum


Me and our museum guide and the old weighing system

In the museum they sold fresh Gouda cheese. We bought a little wheel and then I wanted to take a picture of the ladies working there but they insisted I come behind the counter and have Brent take a picture of me there. As I went back and picked up a wheel of cheese, a little boy that had just come in with his mother, saw me go behind and so he came back too! He tried to pick up a wheel as well and it was so hilarious.

The initial picture, me behind the counter


Laughing at the boy


Mum rescues the boy! Too funny.

We walked around the town a bit and saw a few other streets and buildings that were interesting. There were cheese shops everywhere (more than in most Dutch towns) and it was great! Good times in Gouda!

I'm a cheese lady too!

No comments: