Monday, June 1, 2009

Musings...

It is really is crazy and amazing where life takes you, isn’t it? I had one of those “ah-ha” moments the other day where I realized that I have finally started “real” life. I am in a place where the rest of my life proceeds from here.
It is hard to imagine that some years ago I was struggling with staying motivated to finish my Bachelor’s degree and here I am not only with my Bachelor’s, but with two Master’s as well! I have at times doubted the practicality of my educational pursuits (especially after so many job rejection letters when I was in New York), but I have learned so much and enjoyed myself and now I am finally in a position where I can use all that knowledge and skills – and in fact amaze people that I have all that!
I think back to the BYU days with all my girlies and we certainly had some fun times! Late nights and lots of laughs. I was remembering the little videos we would make on Melissa’s webcam and then watch them over and over and die laughing.
I never imagined I would actually get to do so much travelling and see so much of the world. The world is so amazing and awesome and also incredibly sad at times. I have stood atop the gorgeous Swiss Alps and been immersed in European history just walking down the cobbled streets of a small Dutch town, and I have stood in the middle of the slums of Bangkok where the faces of the children just break your heart. There is still so much pain in this world, and the sad thing is, nobody really cares. The poverty-stricken and hungry are born that way, live that way and die that way. Even after being in it and working with an NGO to help, I can never get even a small grasp of what their lives are really like. Such is life.
I have grown up a lot over time too. I have allowed myself to open my eyes and see things as they really are. I love to learn and question things and not go with things because that is what I am told. In a non-conspiracy theorist type of way, you really can trust no one. You have to find the truth of things on your own. Knowledge is power, and we have so much capacity to learn. I have learned that there are some things I cannot change. I cannot change people’s prejudices or haughtiness or ignorance. Only we can take of our own blinders and have no control over others.
I have come a long way in life so far. I have made great friends, I have lost friends who weren’t so great afterall, I have begun my career and have goals in sight, and I have the love of my life and best friend by my side.
I am looking forward to my career in the government here in Australia and getting closer to my goal of working for the UN and living in Europe again. I love that I get to share every day with Brent and we are looking forward to buying a house, paying down our student loans, taking more exotic world trips together and enjoying being with each other. Life is good.

3 comments:

Heber Slabbert said...

Laura,
I loved your post, congratulations on your 2 masters. Hopefully one day, we can meet up in Australia, maybe at a rugby game :) We are so happy for you!
-Brooke

FOOD is MORE than... said...

Love it!!I love you Lou and I am so happy for you. Good for you for going your own way and finding what makes you happy. Living in Germany I am really getting the traveling bug. I never want to stop. There is so much to see and experience and learn, things you never knew existed. I want to see the world!!

Melissa and Aaron said...

Yay on being done with school! Isn't it crazy to finally start real life? I love you tons and I laughed out loud about the videos we made on my computer web cam. They were funny and I thought I saved them, but I don't think I did. The memories are probably better anyway. They'd definitely be good blackmail for Lyndsay someday:)