Sunday, March 2, 2008

February Update



I got a little behind and now have a month to catch up on, but don't worry, there really isn't too much.
1) I started an internship at Global Human Rights Defence (www.ghrd.org) as a Project Assistant. I am brainstorming/formulating projects and writing/researching grants to get the funding for the projects. GHRD mainly deals with under-represented victims of human rights abuses in South Asia (India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, etc.) though it is hoping to expand into other geographical areas as the organization grows. It is very interesting and I am enjoying it a lot. It keeps me busy and also away from Brent all day but it is a great opportunity and the break I have been hoping for in order to eventually get a (paying) job. The office is located in The Hague (Den Haag) which is only a ten minute train ride from Leiden so it isn't too much of a commute at all.
2) Valentine's Day was very nice. I had to work but when I got home I was greeted by a beautiful sunset and an amazing dinner spread. We had decided no gifts, but that didn't really happen. I got Brent one of those small hand-held massagers and Brent bought me an awesome micro/grill/convection oven. It may sound like a degrading domestic gift but I LOVE it. Kimberly-I'm sure you understand what it means to be able to have an oven in the house! I am so glad I no longer have only two small burners to try and cook everything on. Now I can cook anything I want, hurray!
3) Brent's friend Trevor came and visited for the weekend. Trevor is in the army and is currently stationed in Germany so we took advantage of the close proximity. He was able to jump on a train and he and Brent were able to catch up and have a good weekend together. They have been buddies since high school and it was great for me to get to meet him as well. We will be making a trip out to Germany to visit him and his wife probably in a month or so.
4) My sister Bethany called not too long ago to tell me she is having a baby boy and I am very excited (I knew in December, but just found out the sex). I already have two gorgeous nieces and now I will have a nephew, yay! She is due in August and I already have some cute little Dutch baby clothes picked out to send back over the seas.
A Great Month!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Hurray! First for doing a new post, and second for getting an oven! Just last week I was patting myself on the back for buying our little toaster oven. I could have lived a year without an oven...but I don't have to, so why bother. Congrats on your internship also! Does it still leave you time to study?